I am a former College RhetComp instructor and an aspiring twister of folk- and fairy-tales. More…
- 90stalgia adaptations author focus board books book blogging bookish cooking challenges Classic Juv/YA fantasy comics family fantasy favorites festivals folklore/fairy tales graphic-novels Halloween historical horror humor LGBTQIA literacy literary travel Lithuania magical realism mermaids meta movies music news nonfiction nostalgic Ocean Girl radar October Daye opinion out-of-the-books experience Picture Book Parade picture books poetry re-reads romantic satire Scholarly Musings school reads selkies short stories spooky summer of superheroes Uncategorized writing year-end review
Top Posts & Pages
- The greatest Independence Day party ever
- Salt inside the words: Helen Frost on writing for children
- "Stink bugs are temporary. Love is forever."
- "Spring has come again already" - Lithuanian poetry through the ages
- Ghastly stories for the biggest scare-seekers
- Ten years under hill, over dale, beneath the waves, on faery trails...
- About Me
- "It is the tide that pulls the seconds through my blood. It is the tide that threads the minutes through my bones."
- The Emoticon Generation
- Picture Book Parade: Spooky Cinderellas and Grimm boogie nights
Consult the Oracle
Other Blogs and Such…
. . . . .
ON FAIRY TALES
Folktexts, ed./trans. D. L. Ashliman
Tess Talks Fairy Tales
. . . . .
Category Archives: spooky
Spooky Salutations, Postcardians! Welcome to… Halloween Month 2019! Re: this year’s theme. Rather than Selkies, Sequels, and Second Chances, I’ve decided to focus on Compassionate Cosplay, (Literary) Candy Crushes, and Sinister Selchies (look, there’s a ‘c’ in there!) Today’s post will … Continue reading
Welcome, ghouls and banshees, to Halloween Month at Postcards from La-La Land! This month, I am focusing on twisted myths and scary fairy tales, hunting for the horrifying hearts of our favorite bedtime stories. There will be posts on petrifying … Continue reading
Kheryn Callender. Hurricane Child. New York: Scholastic, 2018. Rating: 3.75 out of 5 running girls who burst into a cloud of moths. As summer dies down, I’m going to give you a preview of Halloween Month, with a book about a … Continue reading
Do you keep a night light on on Halloween, just in case? Do thoughts of the undead keep you unrested? Or are you all about the vampire bats and the plague-haunted castles and the vengeful murder victims come back to … Continue reading
It’s that awesomest time of year again, the month for reading spooky, paranormal stories; stocking up on snack-size Butterfingers; and putting together your kick-@$$ October Daye costume. This month, I’m prepared with several Halloween posts featuring nostalgic middle grade titles, … Continue reading
Today’s round of picture books comes from the land of out there… a land of whimsy and silliness, where bears look to “find themselves” in enchanted forests; where goons in tombs fish in black lagoons; where gnomes compete for the best beard style; babies … Continue reading
“Don’t you love the cold forest? Doesn’t the howl of the wolf thrill you through with fearful delight?”
I found this awesome reading list on an online syllabus for “Fairy Tales Then and Now,” a course at Rutgers. The first two units focus on versions of Little Red Riding Hood and disobedience tales like Bluebeard, in versions from Charles … Continue reading