I am a former College RhetComp instructor and an aspiring twister of folk- and fairy-tales. More…
- 90stalgia adaptations author focus board books book blogging bookish cooking challenges Classic Juv/YA fantasy comics family fantasy favorites festivals folklore/fairy tales graphic-novels Halloween historical horror humor LGBTQIA literacy literary travel Lithuania magical realism mermaids meta movies music news nonfiction nostalgic Ocean Girl radar October Daye opinion out-of-the-books experience Picture Book Parade picture books poetry re-reads romantic satire Scholarly Musings school reads selkies short stories spooky summer of superheroes Uncategorized writing year-end review
Top Posts & Pages
- The greatest Independence Day party ever
- Salt inside the words: Helen Frost on writing for children
- "Stink bugs are temporary. Love is forever."
- "Spring has come again already" - Lithuanian poetry through the ages
- Ghastly stories for the biggest scare-seekers
- Ten years under hill, over dale, beneath the waves, on faery trails...
- About Me
- "It is the tide that pulls the seconds through my blood. It is the tide that threads the minutes through my bones."
- The Emoticon Generation
- Picture Book Parade: Spooky Cinderellas and Grimm boogie nights
Consult the Oracle
Other Blogs and Such…
. . . . .
ON FAIRY TALES
Folktexts, ed./trans. D. L. Ashliman
Tess Talks Fairy Tales
. . . . .
Category Archives: nostalgic
“It is the tide that pulls the seconds through my blood. It is the tide that threads the minutes through my bones.”
Part Three of my Selkie Series * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * Franny Billingsley. The Folk Keeper. New York: Atheneum, 1999. Rating: 4.95 out of 5 amber beads tossed into the sea for smooth sailing. Recommended if … Continue reading
Holy snapdragons, Bookwyrms! It’s my 200th post!!! In honor of this momentous occasion, I’ve decided to rrrrrrewind to one of my other favorite 90s kids’ shows, which inspired me to become a lifelong literacy activist. Through the magic of YouTube, … Continue reading
If you’re lucky enough to live where the mercury never falls below 50, you can totally still sneak in some beach reading in these early days of Autumn. And what’s beachier than a nostalgic romp through Sweet Valley, California? Better … Continue reading
First, a big THANK YOU to everyone who gave me their uplifting book recommendations in response to my last post. I am definitely going to check some of those out this Fall and Winter. I’m especially looking forward to re-reading … Continue reading
It’s that awesomest time of year again, the month for reading spooky, paranormal stories; stocking up on snack-size Butterfingers; and putting together your kick-@$$ October Daye costume. This month, I’m prepared with several Halloween posts featuring nostalgic middle grade titles, … Continue reading
Let’s play a game! Inspired by Book Riot‘s “We Didn’t Start the Pale Fire: Books Summarized By 80s Song Titles,” I thought I’d make my own list of book-summing song titles — drawn from the 90s, since that’s the decade that represents … Continue reading
Edit 07/25/14: I added two more songs, so this is now a Top Five list (in no particular order; the songs aren’t actually ranked…except maybe the last one. Anyhoo, Graduation! I’m sure this is still relevant to some people…end of the … Continue reading
Ever since I started the Nostalgic Review feature, I’ve been meaning to do a post on my favorite/most-clearly-remembered short stories from grade- and high-school English classes. Remember those awesome lit textbooks you always wished you could keep after the semester … Continue reading