I am a former College RhetComp instructor and an aspiring twister of folk- and fairy-tales. More…
- 90stalgia adaptations author focus board books book blogging bookish cooking challenges Classic Juv/YA fantasy comics family fantasy favorites festivals folklore/fairy tales graphic-novels Halloween historical horror humor LGBTQIA literacy literary travel Lithuania magical realism mermaids meta movies music news nonfiction nostalgic Ocean Girl radar October Daye opinion out-of-the-books experience Picture Book Parade picture books poetry re-reads romantic satire Scholarly Musings school reads selkies short stories spooky summer of superheroes Uncategorized writing year-end review
Top Posts & Pages
- The greatest Independence Day party ever
- Salt inside the words: Helen Frost on writing for children
- "Stink bugs are temporary. Love is forever."
- "Spring has come again already" - Lithuanian poetry through the ages
- Ghastly stories for the biggest scare-seekers
- Ten years under hill, over dale, beneath the waves, on faery trails...
- About Me
- "It is the tide that pulls the seconds through my blood. It is the tide that threads the minutes through my bones."
- The Emoticon Generation
- Picture Book Parade: Spooky Cinderellas and Grimm boogie nights
Consult the Oracle
Other Blogs and Such…
. . . . .
ON FAIRY TALES
Folktexts, ed./trans. D. L. Ashliman
Tess Talks Fairy Tales
. . . . .
Category Archives: music
#sorrynotsorry! I can’t refrain from posting one more mer-story this month, because it’s so good. At least it’s not selkies this time! ^_^; Rivers Solomon, et al. The Deep. New York: Saga Press, 2019. Rating: 5 out of 5 combs … Continue reading
Alakazam, Postcardians! #notsorry, but I did suggest in my previous post (now private) that “Goodbye for Now” might turn into “Merely a Hiatus,” and/or that I might take a break from Other Big Projects to sneak in a post or … Continue reading
Kheryn Callender. Hurricane Child. New York: Scholastic, 2018. Rating: 3.75 out of 5 running girls who burst into a cloud of moths. As summer dies down, I’m going to give you a preview of Halloween Month, with a book about a … Continue reading
First, a big THANK YOU to everyone who gave me their uplifting book recommendations in response to my last post. I am definitely going to check some of those out this Fall and Winter. I’m especially looking forward to re-reading … Continue reading
And by Independence Day, I mean the Lithuanian one, of course. The ultimate expression of Lithuania’s year-long 100th anniversary celebration happened the first week of July in Vilnius, and hardcore LT fan that I am, I was there to see … Continue reading
First, a shout-out to Lithuania’s entry to the 2018 Eurovision Song Contest: In honor of the 100th independence anniversary, the Lithuanian NGO Music Export Fund has compiled a Spotify playlist of 100 songs from 1918 to the present, from the … Continue reading
April Daniels. Sovereign. New York: Diversion Books, 2017 Rating: 4.5 out of 5 epic space battles involving the Hubble Space Telescope You know what’s really fun? Reading superhero stories while listening to my Chillectronic station on Pandora. The eerie, techno, … Continue reading
Robin Talley. Our Own Private Universe. Ontario: HarlequinTEEN, 2017. Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Prince songs that are secretly your favorite song ever This book, you guys. This book is sexy like woah. Like, it goes into all the steamy, … Continue reading