I am a former College RhetComp instructor and an aspiring twister of folk- and fairy-tales. More…
- 90stalgia adaptations author focus board books book blogging bookish cooking challenges Classic Juv/YA fantasy comics family fantasy favorites festivals folklore/fairy tales graphic-novels Halloween historical horror humor LGBTQIA literacy literary travel Lithuania magical realism mermaids meta movies music news nonfiction nostalgic Ocean Girl radar October Daye opinion out-of-the-books experience Picture Book Parade picture books poetry re-reads romantic satire Scholarly Musings school reads selkies short stories spooky summer of superheroes Uncategorized writing year-end review
Top Posts & Pages
- The greatest Independence Day party ever
- Salt inside the words: Helen Frost on writing for children
- "Stink bugs are temporary. Love is forever."
- "Spring has come again already" - Lithuanian poetry through the ages
- Ghastly stories for the biggest scare-seekers
- Ten years under hill, over dale, beneath the waves, on faery trails...
- About Me
- "It is the tide that pulls the seconds through my blood. It is the tide that threads the minutes through my bones."
- The Emoticon Generation
- Picture Book Parade: Spooky Cinderellas and Grimm boogie nights
Consult the Oracle
Other Blogs and Such…
. . . . .
ON FAIRY TALES
Folktexts, ed./trans. D. L. Ashliman
Tess Talks Fairy Tales
. . . . .
Category Archives: humor
If you’re lucky enough to live where the mercury never falls below 50, you can totally still sneak in some beach reading in these early days of Autumn. And what’s beachier than a nostalgic romp through Sweet Valley, California? Better … Continue reading
First, a big THANK YOU to everyone who gave me their uplifting book recommendations in response to my last post. I am definitely going to check some of those out this Fall and Winter. I’m especially looking forward to re-reading … Continue reading
As I mentioned the one other time I got political on this blog…I don’t usually get political on this blog. I usually keep La La Land and Washington very separate. But once in a while, a thing happens that deserves … Continue reading
Book Rating: 4.95 out of 5 magical worlds where everything is made of Oreos. Movie Rating: 4.5 out of 5 kisses on the Ferris Wheel So, yeah, Simon the book is sweet and adorable and heartwarming, and the movie, though it has … Continue reading
Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton and Jodi Meadows. My Lady Jane. New York: HarperCollins, 2016. Kindle ed. Rating: 4.75 out of 5 stacks of books brought along on the honeymoon So, this is my first foray into alternate historic fiction, and … Continue reading
Today’s round of picture books comes from the land of out there… a land of whimsy and silliness, where bears look to “find themselves” in enchanted forests; where goons in tombs fish in black lagoons; where gnomes compete for the best beard style; babies … Continue reading
It’s that time again! Peppermint mochas and gingerbread lattes, last-minute shopping and family reunions, and lists of this year’s highlights. As a general reading trend this year, I’ve been reading a lot more LGBTQIA literature, and I think it’s an awesome … Continue reading
Noelle Stevenson, et al. Lumberjanes. Los Angeles: Boom! Studios, 2014-present. Rating: 4.75 out of 5 punk rock mermaids Lately, I’ve been hooked on the Lumberjanes comics by Noelle Stevenson (of Nimona fame) et al. Boom! Studios calls it “Buffy the Vampire Slayer … Continue reading